Re: Pro*c and dynamic sql

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rii.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 02:30:36 GMT

In article <lvJ86.802$eS2.189930_at_paloalto-snr1.gtei.net>,   "Kevin Hunt" <khhis_at_triplecrownsvc.com> wrote:
> I'm used to informix ESQLC where you can declare a sql statment
 using ?
> instead of host variable.
>
> EX: prepare x as "select count(*) from location where location = ?"
>
> EXEC SQL X using hostvariable;
>
> Is there anyway to do this with oracle. It looks like from the
> documentation that you have to put the host variable in the prepare?

Java uses that syntax. ProC and OCI both require a host variable. (As you read in the manual ). There are mechanisms to determine at runtime what type of values are being returned, thus it if possible to do all the work in code at runtime. IMHO that is unnecessary or bad coding in most if not all cases.

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics

Sent via Deja.com