Re: Reports 6i - query returns no data

From: Eric Givler <egivler_at_flash.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 22:35:17 GMT

two suggestions come to mind:
[Quoted] 1) accept the parameters and in a before-report trigger, pass the parms to a [Quoted] stored procedure that builds a ref cursor the same as the report. Open the [Quoted] cursor and fetch 1 row. If you fetch a row, great, return (true). If not, [Quoted] return (false) and the report will stop. Prior to returning false, use the [Quoted] srw.message to display an error dialog "report returned no data" or something similar.

2) do the same thing in a driving form and display the error prior to starting the report, and ask the user to change the parameters.

3) Create a report level "counter" that summarizes on the entire report. [Quoted] Make it use Count as it's function and count the primary key column (or any [Quoted] column for that matter). Put a before report trigger that references this [Quoted] counter, ie.

    if :my_report_counter = 0 then

        srw.message('no rows found');
        return (false);
   else
       return (true);

   end if;
  • it will take a little longer to run with this as the entire report [Quoted] has to be generated because you've based a counter on it and are using it in [Quoted] the before-report - ie. it has to count all the rows, but returning true if [Quoted] you found rows is good because now the report will display ok. The false [Quoted] causes it to stop. You'll get the error about the before report trigger [Quoted] returning false, but the message will be displayed and you exit back to the form.

[Quoted] Let me know if any of this made sense or was helpful. That will be 25 cents please... ;)