Re: Forms Newbie question - help please

From: Eric Givler <egivler_at_flash.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 00:52:28 GMT

If the item is NOT part of the table that your block is tied to then it should be a display item only. Otherwise, If the Database Item property is set, Oracle will add it to the list of columns that it uses when it builds the "DML" behind the scenes to query, insert, update or delete records.

> You are right, CONAME is a database item. But, doesn't it have to be in
> order to display properly when navigating through the records if I'm going
> to approach this problem using blocks?

Nope. All you should have is the LOV, turn on LOV validation and also remember to populate it with a post-query trigger. Remember thought that users who don't have update privilege on the table or enter the screen w/o update ill get FRM errors (field is not updatable) when attempting to display the lov. Some users don't like this behavior, so you may have to do some extra coding there.

> Should I be populating the CONAME in a different manner?

No. Just remember the post-query. If it's not there, when forms retrieve records in your detail block, the description field will be null.

> Maybe I should populate it in the WHEN_NEW_RECORD_INSTANCE and completely
> get rid of the detail blocks? Just add a field to display the company
name.

That's up to you..

Good luck! Received on Sat Dec 16 2000 - 01:52:28 CET

Original text of this message