Re: UTL_FILE on client side

From: <sigdock_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 08:45:35 GMT

Bill,

AFAIK writing to (or reading from) a client is only possible if both are running the same platform. Since Unix and NT use a different style for their diretories and path annotations it won't be possible. Perhaps you can try to use the IP adress of the client to check out if you can reach it at all. But even if this works I doubt if this is a proper solution.

Regards,
BertJan Meinders
Oracle DBA
ASR-ICT In article <91bke3$klr$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Bill <wsprouse_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I am trying to use the UTL_FILE package to write output to a file on a
> client computer. The client is NT 4.0, Oracle is on a Unix box and I
 am
> running the code in SQL*Plus on the client. The documentation seems
> suggest I can use this package to write to files on the client - is
 this
> true?
>
> When I run the code the INVALID PATH exception is raised when I use
 the
> UTL_FILE.FOPEN. I am trying to direct the output to a directory and
> file on the NT client.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Bill
>
> Sent via Deja.com