Re: help with developer and pl/sql

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rosetta.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:51:20 GMT

In article <91757d$u4r$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   bs7259_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> This group seems to not be for beginners in Developer and use of
 pl/sql,
> can someone tell me of a newsqroup that would be more suitable and
 more
> responsive to my questions.
> thanks
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

I am not aware of any other/better groups.

As to not for beginners, I think you are underestimating the level of response. IMHO generally most of the question here fall into two categories : complex/unusual problems OR beginner questions. The answers are often cryptic to beginners due to jargon and lack of desire to actually code the response to a question.

There is also the opinion of many of the respondents that to work in a complex environment, you must do your homework ie read the manuals (at least in the section that you are asking the question); read 3rd party books on the subject; and attempt to integrate the information. Actually of late, I have not seen any RT?M comments. Most of my Oracle education was reading the manuals and trying it out.

Additionally, often the questions are too vague to answer. No error messages, paraphrased code, etc. It is hard to guess at a problem from 3000 miles away when the only statement is 'it does not work'.

A final point, this is a user group. Answers and time and skill are donated. The last company I worked at paid $100 per hour for Oracle consultant time, $200 if they were really good.

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics

Sent via Deja.com