Re: Oracle on OpenVMS or Unix

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:52:26 GMT

In our last gripping episode bmaurer_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Don, a big disadvantage to using Oracle on
> OpenVMS is that Oracle seems to treat VMS like an
> annoying fly. It seems to begrudgingly put out
> versions for OpenVMS and then after a long period
> after the UNIX version.
>
> In article <t28e5bc9u65i0e_at_corp.supernews.com>,
> "Don Horner" <dhorner_at_dollar.com> wrote:
> > I have to do a report showing the advantages
 and dis-advantages of running
> > Oracle on OpenVMS versus running it on Unix.
 Is there anybody out there who
> > could help show me the differences or point me
 in the right direction.

> > Thanks
> > Don Horner
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

One must remember that Oracle is developed in part with a lot of cooperation  from Sun Microsystems on its UNIX-based systems. This is the reason for the usually exceptional performance of Oracle on Sun machines. Granted there have been 'glitches' from Sun, the most recent being processor-based, but on the whole Oracle tends to like Sun better than most other operating systems, although HP is a close second (possibly the two are more alike than they would appear).

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA