Re: Data missing in Personal Oracle 8i

From: cliff autin <cliff-autin_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 05:31:35 GMT

Your description switched from (total 16) machines to (3 or 4?) groups - this confuses me.
* So the DML statements on 2 machines were committed * Most of the "groups" found their data missing later - if "group" is interchangeable with "machine", then I would expect that up to 14 could find there data missing, depending on how they exited the database "tool" in which the DML statements were issued. My assumption is that SQL*PLUS was used as the SQL command processor. * A couple of things to keep in mind about SQL:

  • Data Definition Language (DDL) statements (creating, deleting, altering database objects such as tables, constraints, columns, sequences) commmit IMPLICITLY
  • DML statements (insert,update,delete,etc.) required an explicit COMMIT statement
  • The "normal" exit of SQL*PLUS implicitly commits any pending transactions
  • An "abnormal" exit of a tool like SQL*PLUS (GPF, power failure, reboot, etc.) usually results in a rollback of pending transactions (e.g. they are not committed and are thus lost). I find it hard to believe that 14 "machines" were rebooted or GPF'd, although a power outage affecting all is possible.
    • Don't have enough information to tell you for sure. Hope this helped some.

Cliff