Re: Unable to use toad or sqlplus to connect to P. Oracle8i

From: <jeffyee_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 18:30:44 GMT

[Quoted] The database configuration assistant did everything from creating the database and configuring the tnsnames.ora, immediately after I install Oracle8i. The complete tnsnames.ora file is as follow:

LISTENER =
  (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
      )

(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = jeffrey)(PORT = 1521)) )

    )
    (DESCRIPTION =
(PROTOCOL_STACK =
        (PRESENTATION = GIOP)
        (SESSION = RAW)
      )

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = jeffrey)(PORT = 2481))
    )
  )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = e:\Oracle\Ora81)
(PROGRAM = extproc)

    )
    (SID_DESC =
(GLOBAL_DBNAME = poracle)
(ORACLE_HOME = e:\Oracle\Ora81)
(SID_NAME = poracle)

    )
  )

[Quoted] Note: 'Jeffrey' is the computer name. 'Poracle' is the sid and the global database name.

[Quoted] In article <3a104998.607414786_at_news.news-ituk.to>,   See Message body for real address wrote: >
> What host string are you using...did you configure it first with net8  asst or

[Quoted] > net8 config ?
> after setting the connect_timeout to 0 did you reload the listener?
>
> jeffyee_at_hotmail.com wrote:
>
> >I have successfully installed Personal Oracle8i 8.1.6 Release 2 for
> >Windows 98 to my notebook. I can connect to the database using
 svrmgrl
[Quoted] > >and sqlplus (without keying in anything on the host string). But I > >can't connect to the database, if I use other front-end tools like  toad
[Quoted] > >or sqlplus (including the host string). The error message is

> >   ORA-12535: TNS:operation timed out
> >
> >I tried setting the connect_timeout to 0 on the lsnrctl, but I still
[Quoted] > >get the same error. Can someone please help me on this.

> >Thank you very much in advance.
> >
> >Jeffrey
> >

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Before you buy.

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 15 2000 - 19:30:44 CET

Original text of this message