Re: Initiaizing Database error

From: Uwe Schneider <pi_at_richard-schneider.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:21:46 +0100

Lamar Thomas wrote:

> I am running Red Hat Linux and I just installed Oracle 8i for Linux on it.
> Near the end of the installation the wizard stated that it was "Initializing
> Database". That's where it hung. I let if set over night but that did not
> do any good. The rest of the install went just fine. Can anyone help?
> Thanks,

Yes, I know this: on a 128 MB computer you cannot install Oracle databases this way. The installer JVM takes > 100M and the dbassist JVM takes a lot of RAM + the started database needs memory.

It is much better to let the installer create the SQL scripts and to start them afterwards. This is also a good source for the installation of another database, e.g. with different block size or parameters.

Have fun!

Uwe

--
Uwe Schneider       | Telefon +49 7251 / 82587
Karlsdorfer Str. 31 | Mail    pi_at_richard-schneider.de