Re: How to restore on another device using Legato NetWorker and Oracle Recovery Manager ?

From: Ky Nguyen <knguyen_at_ab.bluecross.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 10:17:45 -0700

Matthieu Krembel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I work on a Windows NT server 4.0. platform with Oracle 8.05.

There is your first problem: NT ;-)

> Using Legato NetWorker V5.1. lsm Build 13., I did a backup with Oracle
> Recovery Manager.
>
> In order to test it, I would like to restore my backup on another server.
> Both server devices use a Quantum 4000 DLT IV tape cartridge.

> But, when I initially labelled the cartridge with Legato NetWorker, it put
> the backuped server's name in the cartridge's label.
> Therefore I am not be able to restore my backup on another server because I
> cannot mount the cartridge.

Ideally, you should restore your dbase from the same server that you back it up

from -- even if you restore to a new server. For example, say your dbase is on hostA; Your backup server is serverX; and you want to restore that dbase to hostB.
Then have client softwares (networker & oracle module) installed on hostA; back up your dbase to serverX. Now go to your hostB, install client softwares; From hostB, launch a recovery session with client hostA from server serverX. A command line version of that would be:

    recover -s serverX -c hostA

If you back up from hostA and must recover from tape device attached to hostB, then mount the tape to hostB, run NetWorker's inventory and scanner against the
tape drive to recognize and extract index info from the tape. Then you can recover the dbase. Commands for that would be similar to the following:

    nsrjb -d /dev/rmt/tape1
    scanner -d /dev/rmt/tape1
    recover -c hostA