ora-12505

From: joeroe <jroan1_at_tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 17:22:44 GMT

Hello,

[Quoted]  I am having trouble connecting to the Oracle database from Oracle Developer 6.0. The error is
ORA-12505 TNS:Listener could not resolve sid given In connect descriptor. I am running both on a single PC under Windows98 SE. I installed Developer first as instructed by Oracle Web Support in C:\orawin95 and the Oracle 8 I Personel v.8.1.5 in c:\oracle\ora81. This first worked after giving my Pc a net service name in Net 8 Easy Config, but upon installing Developer 6.0 demos the connection failed to work. I then uninstalled and re-installed both products and haven't been able to connect even without trying to install the demos. Where can I look for help resolving this error. The only referance I can find is on the web at the Oracle Network Products Troubleshooting Guide. That document suggests that the database might not be started when trying to connect, but that is not the case. Below is a copy of the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files. The first line of the tnslistener.ora file says it is from oracle\ora81\network\admin but it has just been copied from there. Sorry for the long message and thank you in advance for the help. Joe Roan

C:\orawin95\net80\admin\tnsnames.ora

# C:\ORACLE\ORA81\NETWORK\ADMIN\TNSNAMES.ORA Configuration
File:c:\oracle\ora81\NETWORK\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora
# Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant

JOEROE =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))     )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SID = ORCL)
    )
  )

c:\oracle\ora81\network\admin\listener.ora

# C:\ORACLE\ORA81\NETWORK\ADMIN\LISTENER.ORA Configuration
File:c:\oracle\ora81\NETWORK\ADMIN\listener.ora
# Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant

LISTENER =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))     (PROTOCOL_STACK =

      (PRESENTATION = TTC)
      (SESSION = NS)

    )