Re: How to debug PL/SQL under Oracle V7.3

From: Cliff Dabrowski <cliffdw_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 01:17:17 GMT

DBMS_DEBUG is Oracle's server side PL/SQL debugging API. It was not documented in v7 release but has been subsequently in v8 Oracle releases.

Although you can implement this API yourself using SQL*Plus and embedded initialization calls in your own PL/SQL you will find it extremely cumbersome. There is actually a document on Technet or Metalink that gives you limited instruction.

The best advice is to find a good commercial tool that implements this API. The best favor you can do for yourself is to trial any product you are considering since this API has plenty of land mines like any API does to make sure that it works well for you and your development environment.

If you are doing any JAVA development now or in the future then you should investigate all tools JAVA capabilities in DETAIL.

Take a look at Compuware XPEDITER/SQL for the ONLY multi-protocol (Java, PL/SQL) server side debugger available for Oracle.

http://www.numega.com/products/xpediter/xped.shtml http://www.numega.com/dm/xped/beta.shtml

FYI: Yes I do work for Compuware.