Re: Oracle and Pro*C

From: codewizarts <eric_at_codewizarts.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 20:36:44 +0200

Hi,
first of all, do you have Oracle 8i or 8 ? If you start SQLPlus, do you get ....8.1.5 or do you get something like 8.0.5. If you have 8i, you have to install client software from the CD and select the Programmer Option. After the installation, you'll find in $ORACLE_HOME/bin the file proc.exe That's the file which you have to start.

If you have Oracle 8.0.5 or less, there's a CD which is called Oracle Programmer which includes the stuff you're are looking for.

Yes, you'll need also a C compiler like VisualC ++ or Borland. You write a C programm with, let's say, special macros and then precompile it with the proc. The result file has to be compiled with the C compiler. Finally you gonna link the libraries together with your objectcode. Look in the proc directory and you'll find some demos. Look at the emp sample, which gives you a good starting point.

By the way, why do you want to use cgi progs. This means, you'll gonna start external processes, which can be very slow. As you said, you have allready installed the application server, so you may better use mod_plsql which is faster because it's running in the database.

cheers
eric

--
codewizarts