Re: ODBC Will Not Work

From: Walter T Rejuney <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 15:57:10 -0400

MikeG in Philly wrote:

> Walter: Thanks for the response. I do not know how to use OLE DB, but will
> learn, if you think thats the right way to go. I just DL'ed the MSDA file
> from Microsoft and will install it. Someone else told me to get the Merant
> ODBC Connector and try that, so thats what I'm doing now. I'll get back to
> you. MikeG

There are a couple good books which you might find helpful.

Oracle Programming With Visual Basic
and
Visual Basic Developer's Guide to ADO
and
VB Oracle 8

If you read them you will see that there are a few instances where ODBC can do certain things that are not available in OLE DB, but they are esoteric enough that you might program for years without the need to do those things.

When it comes right down to it, if you are using ADO then you are using ODBC even though you are using ODBC syntax. So, it makes sense to use OLE DB directly.

Keep in mind also that ADO is available from VBScript and Jscript. I don't know whether other access methods can make that claim.

Take a look at the example files that come with the MDAC. There are also others that are available on the Microsoft and Oracle sites. Received on Wed Oct 25 2000 - 21:57:10 CEST

Original text of this message