Re: Recommendation for front end tool

From: Spammy Nono <spambust_at_localhost.zz>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 23:19:24 +0200

[Quoted] "Jenny" <jennyw_at_godzilla.tamu.edu> wrote in message news:8p6315$4er$1_at_news.tamu.edu...
> I'm currently evaluating front end tool to develop web-enabled application
> with Oracle8i at the back end. Tried WebDB and Designer but don't like
 them.
> Would like to know if Forms/Reports could create scalable and
> mission-critical web application. Or Servlet/JSP would be a better choice?
> Thanks for advice.

What type of application?
[Quoted] For something "mission-critical", I wouldn't bet much on Reports or Forms. But then again, that depends very much on your requirements / goals.

Reports Builder is basically for sql-querying+layout development. With Reports Server you can have a multi-tiered multi-server architecture for distributing and running reports.

Forms has more UI creating capabilities, but lacks in some areas. It can't even do multi-selection boxes, which is/should be a very basic component!

Just a few pointers...
/Fad