Re: count row function

From: Conan <conan_at_>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 08:59:00 +0100

[Quoted] Hi Sandy,

    select count(*) from a table will always return 1 row regardless of the [Quoted] where clause, so in the case of the situation below the query will return

Count(*)

0

what you can do instead is
select count(*) into variable from client where clientno='02' and then have [Quoted] PLSQL look at the value of the variable so tour function will look something [Quoted] like this

create or replace function clientidexists(clientid in varchar2 default '00') return boolean
is
myrowcount number(10);
begin

[Quoted]    select count(*) into myrowcount from client where clientno=clientid;    if myrowcount = 0 then

      return 'false';
   else return 'true';
   end if;
end ;

hth

Sandy wrote in message <1659ac50.4d8c8fed_at_usw-ex0110-076.remarq.com>...
>hi,
>
>I want to know if a client exists in a function. For this I
>have made a function with a select count... that returns
>the number of rows of the query : if he exists 1( normally)
>and if not 0. But doesn't work correctly. What happens
>when for example a client number '02' doesn't exist in the
>table client and we do the query :
>
>select count(*) from client where client.number='02';
>
>thanks
>
>sandy
>

>* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find
related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful Received on Tue Sep 05 2000 - 09:59:00 CEST

Original text of this message