Re: What is Service Name ?

From: Brian Duff <bduff_at_uk.oracle.com.DELETE_THIS_BIT>
Date: 2000/07/02

When you installed Oracle 8i, did you create a default database? If so, the creation wizard will have asked you to specify a service name. This is just a unique name that identifies your database (you can have several databases on the same machine).

Have a look in your tnsnames.ora file (it's in the network/admin directory under your oracle home). It should contain entries that look a bit like this:

GURGEH.UK.ORACLE.COM =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = ukp5387.uk.oracle.com)(PORT = 1521))

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = gurgeh.uk.oracle.com)     )
  )

You can use this to find out the service name.

If you didn't create a default database on install, I'd recommend reinstalling - setting up a default db is the quickest way to get started.

Brian

Bhargava <sbhargavarao_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:8jmf3v$5f$1_at_news.vsnl.net.in...
> Hi !
>
> I am a NEW user !! I am trying to setup ODBC to Personal Oracle 8.0i ..
 its