Re: [Oracle / Access]

From: Steve McDaniels <steve.mcdaniels_at_sierra.com>
Date: 2000/06/28

[Quoted] If the Access table has the following characteristics, you can simply export the table from Access to Oracle over an ODBC connection:

  1. Table Name conforms to Oracle naming conventions (i.e., upper case, no special chars, etc)
  2. All fields names conform to Oracle naming conventions (see 1.)
  3. All fields types are compatible with Oracle field types (no "memo" fields, no "double" fields, etc)
  4. The table must have a primary key (no strictly true, but simplifies things)

Note: if you export the Access table to Oracle (successfully) and later discover that you forgot to uppercase all names, you can fix this by referring to the name in double quotes:

select "my_lowercase_field_name" from "my_lowercase_table_name" where...

As an aside, I have found that for regular moving of large volumes of (the same tables') data from Access to Oracle is more quickly accomplished using an Access exported (fixed-width) file, then using SQL*Loader up into Oracle. (Access via ODBC is ungodly slow)