Forms 4.5 - Column Security Property

From: <japs1_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/27

[Quoted] I wish to make use of the Forms 4.5 "Column Security" property.

According to the Forms 4.5 Help .....

"Specifies when Oracle Forms should enforce update privileges on a column-by-column basis for the block's base table. If an operator does [Quoted] not have update privileges on a particular column in the base table, Oracle Forms makes the corresponding item non-updateable for this operator only, by turning off the Update Allowed item property at form startup."

I have an oracle table called 'ab_main' which is a base table block in a form i'm developing.

This table has many columns, but I have granted update privelege for only 1 column (raised_date) in this table to the user .....

GRANT UPDATE (raised_date) ON ab_main TO user;

I have set the "Column Security" property of the base table block in the form to "true".

What i would have expected to happen is that, on Form start-up, all the [Quoted] items in the base table block, apart from "raised_date", would have their "update allowed" property set to "false".

Unfortunately, this does not happen. Instead, all the items in the block are still updateable!!!

As an experiment, I revoked the update privelege on "raised_date" from the user (so that there were no update priveleges at all on the table "ab_main") and found that the "Column Security" property worked as expected.

Does this mean that the "Column Security" property in Forms 4.5 does not recognise Column Level security in the datebase (ie. only recognises Object Level security)?????

Any help on this problem would be appreciated.

japs1.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Jun 27 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message