Re: SV: print directly from pl/sql ?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/06/12

Lars Sjöström wrote:

> Not even with some HOST('lpr'||file_name)-command? I always thougt that
> would be possible, but my clients always wants a choice "Screen" or "Print",
> so I have not really had the issue on the table.
>
> Lars Sjöström
> Linköping
>
> Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> skrev i
> diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:960787722.3425.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl..
> .
> > It is *not* possible
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> >
> > "Hari Polu" <hari_at_claygency.com> wrote in message
[Quoted] > > > In an application using Oracle Application Server and pl/sql generated
 HTML
[Quoted] [Quoted] > > > pages, there is a need to print directly to the default printer from
 pl/sql.

> > > The control comes to a pl/sql procedure with input parameters that
 contain
> > > the text/content to be printed. Is it possible, and if so, how, to print
> > > this information directly from pl/sql code to a default printer.
> > >
> > > Operating System: Windows NT 4.0
> > > Oracle Application Server: 4.0.7.1 (pl/sql cartridge)
> > > Oracle 8i (8.1.5 Enterprise Edition)
> > >
> > > Any help?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Hari Polu
> > > hari_at_claygency.com

On a server, you won't have the 'host' command as such. You could simulate it with an asynchronous mechanism, that is, the user process write to files using UTL_FILE, and a second polling process looks for files in the directory and dumps them out to the printer.

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

We are born naked, wet and hungry...then things get worse