URGENT - ORACLE SQL-NET

From: Nuno G <nuno.guedes_at_interbolsa.pt>
Date: 2000/06/08

I’m accessing a oracle database using sql*net V2 over tcp/ip installed on a HP-UNIX machine from another HP-UNIX machine. The 2 computers are connect to the same LAN.

When the client finishes the connection its socket remains in TIME_WAIT for about 1 minute (timeout value ?). This happens even if I use sqlplus to access the remote database.

# netstat –a
tcp 0 0 hpdev.1171 oracle.1521 TIME_WAIT

After a a huge number of connections, new connections are refused with TNS-12203 error and i can see a lot of sockets in TIME_WAIT status.

I’ve already contacted oracle support and they are telling me that this not happens with their machines (Oracle support has the same machines and environment). They recommend me to contact HP to. I’m in contact with HP support (that fortunately has also a similar oracle environment) and they are still studding the problem.

Do you have any idea if this is an oracle installation problem, or a SO problem? Do you have any idea how can I decrease the TIME_WAIT timeout value?

Thanks a lot for your attention,

Nuno Guedes
Nuno.guedes_at_interbolsa.pt

The versions I’m using are:

Oracle server:
Machine: HP D380/2
SO: HP-UX 10.20
Oracle Server: 7.3.4.4.1
Oracle sql*net: 2.3.4.0.0

Oracle client:
Machine: HP D200
SO: HP-UX 10.20
Oracle sql*net: 2.3.4.0.0
Oracle sqlplus: 3.3.4.0.0 Received on Thu Jun 08 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message