Oracle performance tools required (please)

From: Norman Dunbar <ndunbar_at_lynxfinancialsystems.co.uk>
Date: 2000/06/02

[Quoted] [Quoted] Hi fellow DBAs, Oracle users and lurkers !

I have been tasked with finding out and budgeting for a tool or tools that will allow us to manage our various Oracle instances in a GUI type manner.
We need/desire the ability to see how the database is performing, how table space is being used etc etc - normal daily DBA stuff in other words.

I know about Oracle's own Enterprise Manager, however, since the move to Java, this has become unusable (sorry Oracle) due to speed on a par with

plate techtonics. Bring back the previous versions and lose Java.

For further info, we have the following :

5 different HP-UX servers of assorted pedigree, running HP-UX 10:20 or 11:00. Oracle versions in use are 7.3.4 and 8.0.5.1 (soon to include 8.1.6)
1 Digital Alpha running what used to be called Digital Unix 4.0 and Oracle 8.0.5.1.
1 Digital Alpha running Open VMS version 7 and Oracle 8.0.5.1. 1 NT box running NT4 and Oracle 7.3.4.

We have around 50 different instances in total and would like to be able to monitor most of them.

Any helpful suggestions, web site addresses etc ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards, Norman.

PS. Quest's Instance monitor is very good, but with 50 instances, it has been priced out of consideration !

Norman Dunbar		EMail:	NDunbar_at_LynxFinancialSystems.co.uk
Technical Consultant		Phone:	0113 289 6265
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.	Fax:	0113 201 7265
			URL:	http://www.LynxFinancialSystems.com