Re: To DBA - Oracle Backup Question ?

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: 2000/05/29

On Mon, 29 May 2000 09:40:08 +0100, "Johnson" <syner_at_pd.jaring.my> wrote:

>But what is this mode going to do with Backup methodologies,I mean what is
>the Hotbackup or Coldbackup to do with EXP80 ?

Whether or not a database runs in ARCHIVELOG mode has nothing to do with EXP80. EXP80 is the export program. Database backups are normally done by copying the database files. Running a database in ARCHIVELOG mode allows you to copy the files while the database is running (this is not quite as simple as I'm making it sound). ARCHIVELOG mode also allows you to recover from a failure without losing any comitted changes. Most production databases run in ARCHIVELOG mode.

NOARCHIVELOG mode on the other hand, is simpler. You have to shutdown the database to back it up, and if you lose a drive, you end up losing all changes since the most recent backup. NOARCHIVELOG mode is fine for test and development databases where you don't care if some data loss occurs.

Jonathan

jonathan_at_gennick.com
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Mon May 29 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message