Re: Dev 2000 - forms eating up memory

From: Zekun Zou <z.zou_at_paradise.net.nz>
Date: 2000/05/24

We had the problem to close cursors used by Oracle Form. In the form, I programmed to close all cursors explicitly. When I run the form I use V$OPEN_CURSORS to monitor the open cursors, I find those cursors do NOT close.

Example
the trigger in the form looks like this: pre-insert trigger:
DECLARE
  CURSOR C1 IS
    SELECT SYSDATE
    FROM DUAL;
BEGIN
  OPEN C1;
  FETCH C1 INTO :BLOCK.DATEINSERT;
  CLOSE C1;
END; Run the form and use another sqlplus session to monitor the cursors opened by the form session:
SQL>SELECT SID, SQL_TEXT FROM V$OPEN_CURSORS WHERE SID=12; (Where sid=12 is the form session id)

You will find the cursor C1 keeps open.

What is problem here? Help please

Quinn

<maxotto_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8geppj$12n$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> We had the same problem and discovered one thing that helped.
>
> One of the developers coded a form that DIDN'T CLOSE ANY CURSORS!!
>
> We found it by watching the memory usage while we opened and closed
> forms. It always would hang on to more memory when we opended the form
> that was incorrectly coded. I helped that the form didn't close a
> single cursor, I imagine it would be harder to find if only one cursor
> was left open - but it's something to check anyways.
>

> In article <vApP4.101421$2D6.2584183_at_news20.bellglobal.com>,
> "Colt5" <Colt5_at_interlog.com> wrote:
> > We currently deployed a new billing application using an Developer
 2000
> > Forms and Reports runtime out to 700 machines. The database resides on
> > nice HP V Class server. The deployment was essentially running all
 Forms
> > from an NT server.
> >
> > When Clients connect, as they open more windows/forms they use more
 memory.
> > When the window/form closes, it does not release the same amount of
 memory
> > as it first consumed. After a period of time the memory is used up.
 Only