does java replace pl/sql?

From: buckwheat <news4_at_REMOVEbaxnet.net>
Date: 2000/05/14

[Quoted] I'm not that handy with pl/sql. for that matter, i havn't spent that much time with java either. so, apologies in advance if this sounds like REAL stupid.

I decided to give my 8i a little server-side task to do. Make a table, and populate it with about 10k dummy records, all fields filled with randomly generated and distinct data.

With VB/ADO it was actually pretty easy. But that was on the client side. With PL/SQL, I used "TOAD", and managed to code it, compile it and install it. But with Ora's JDeveloper, I've been working on it for 2 days with no luck to make the code "pure java", just on the server.

So I got out the docs, and see I could make this a CORBA ojbect with Enterprise Beans using either JDBC or SQLJ or Ent Business Objects with self-compiled JAR's with autoinstalls with certain versions of JDK 1.2, but I may have 1.3 then again I've got JD 2000 just upgraded to JavaDevel 3.0 and 3.1 is the newest but i'll have to download the whole thing to update it then I could eventually wrap the PL/SQL with SQLJ but that sort of defeats the whole purpose I guess then again I see it could make an entire web application with Swing and everything but it's awfully slow and there's not a whole lot of talk about AWT but then again JDevel could make me some real nifty XML code but then my web servers gotta be upgraded and the on-line docs tell you how to build a client/server app and even some web code but my customer doesn't want web code (yet) but now I notice all of a sudden there's NOTHING about just laying down a simple Java SPROC then again the JIT compiler may or may not be installed on the server itself and besides the J extensions need their parents only if the JNI (native interface) into the JVM is version-aligned to just make it work but wait - how bout just a server side HTTP servlet using just INFOBUS and that's with certain Beans [Quoted] already in place for your run of the mill Applet.....

Aw hell. Should I just stick to PL/SQL? Received on Sun May 14 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message