Keyword Search Implementation

From: <yitbsal_at_statcan.ca>
Date: 2000/05/02

Hi,

[Quoted] We are trying to implement keyword search of some tables in our database.

Unfortunately, the required SQL statement is getting quite involved. For [Quoted] example, if we are looking for the keyword 'blue', the following sql statement:

select id1 into var_id1
from my_table
[Quoted] where my_search_field like '%blue%';

will return rows that contain the substring 'blue' instead of the word 'blue'. For the word 'blue', the where clause would have to be something like:

where my_search_field like '% blue %'

or my_search_field like '% blue.%'
or my_search_field like '%.blue %'
or my_search_field like '% blue'
or my_search_field like 'blue.%'

etc.

It gets involved. Of course, another approach is to normalize my_search_field in another column just for searching purposes. But I'd like to know what others out there are doing in this regard.

Thanks,
Salaam Yitbarek

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue May 02 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message