Re: VB 5.0 with oracle????

From: Douglas Boling <doug.boling_at_hogfan.com>
Date: 2000/04/29

I have been using Oracle Objects for Ole (OO4O) with Excel (VBA) and couldn't be happier. Very easy to use if you get a good manual to explain the object model. Supplied help files are good for reference, bad for starting out. OO4O can be used with VB, C++, Delphi, etc.

A great reference book for anyone using VB with Oracle is "Oracle Programming with Visual Basic" by Nick Snowdon. ( I got mine at Barnes and Noble, but I am sure you can find it anywhere on the web.) While most of the book addresses using ADO, DAO, RDO, etc, the last chapter is the best reference (and only) I have found on using OO4O. This book provides many insights into the advances/disadvantages of the various methods to use in accessing Oracle databases from VB. Take your pick from the methods. If you are not an Oracle "house", then ADO may be the way you want to go as your code will be more portable to other databases (if you care). At our shop, it will be a cold day in hell before we switch away from Oracle, and the OO4O product provides definite performance and feature advantages if you are only using Oracle. I have also found it to be a very good tutorial on general PL/SQL and various techniques as well. We have converted several PL/SQL scripts that were 4-5 pages long into VBA scripts with Excel that have just a page of code and provides much more functionality as the Object Model for both OO4O and Excel provide so much functionality that we did not have to develope.

Ain't Ojbects great.......(at least if you don't have to write them originally).

Good luck.....