Re: PL/SQL Server Pages -- any comments?

From: Finn Ellebaek Nielsen <fen_at_changegroup.dk>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 18:08:54 +0200

I've been working on a PL/SQL Server Pages product and am about to release the first beta version next week. Basically, it does what Oracle PL/SQL Server Pages does, and more. It's implemented as a cartridge for OWAS 3.0.1, OAS 4.0.7.1, and OAS 4.0.8.1, all running Windows NT/2000 (perhaps support for Linux and Solaris will be added later on demand). It's repository and browser based so no need to run a command line tool (one is provided though, if you want to use make or something similar). Being browser based you write the URL for your PSP file and the cartridge compiles the PSP file (if necessary) and invokes the corresponding stored procedure through the standard PL/SQL cartridge.

ChangeGroup PL/SQL Server Pages works with Oracle 7.3.4, 8.0.x, and 8.1.x. It's used during development only, test and production runs on the standard PL/SQL cartridge.

Please drop me an e-mail if you would like to be added to the beta program.

BTW, our Web-site is currently in Danish only.

Cheers,

Finn

<gavinator_at_home.com> wrote in message news:38f77f0a.22307836_at_news.videon.wave.ca...
> Hi,
>
> I have a site where I started with plain html from a design company
> and decided to use PSP's as the mechanism to serve them from the
> database and insert dynamic content. This started off fairly well but
> I ran into some issues. The first was what appears to be a size
> limitation of around 32k for the LOADPSP program. Another issue is
> that PSP's are really nothing special. Specifically, all I could
> identify LOADPSP does is 'wrap' the html in the procedure with htp.prn
> statements (hey, I can do that!) and substitute single quotes for two
> single quotes (think I can manage that too!).
>
> So the method I use now to simply create the procedure to present the
> page manually in a text editor and load it via TOAD or procedure
> builder. For dynamic content I write a seperate procedure and just
> plug in a call from the main page.
>
> I was by no means a PL/SQL programmer a few weeks ago when I started
> this (although my SQL was OK) but found it very easy to pick up with
> the help of some doco.
>
> This method works very well for sites that are graphically rich. We
> let the designers come up with great looking pages and just plug them
> into the database.
>
> I will post the URL of the site when it goes public next month.
>
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:42:53 GMT, "steven bell"
> <stevenbell_at_nettaxi.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm involved in the establishment of an ecommerce company and am
interested
> >in looking at using Oracle PL/SQL server pages in conjunction with an
Oracle