Re: Forms 3.0 to 4.5

From: John <ideaspinner_at_totalise.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 15:42:05 GMT

Wilhelm,

> 1. Can it be done keeping 100% functionality without having to do things
> manually
> 2. Which tools are could be used

  1. Yes. There are a variety of FORMS converters out there. They usually charge by the size of the form being converted. There have many preferences to set depending on how you want the GUI look-and-feel to come out. You could use Oracle's own conversion tool.

On unix...

 i.e. f45gen username/password yourform.inp upgrade=y

This will create a 4.5 version that you can load into Forms4.5. Builder and play about with.

Also, note that any references to procedures in a Stored Form won't work in 4.5. These
procedures need to be re-written as PL/SQL libraries.

B. For reports, Oracle supply a conversion tool which is good enough.

You will find that some tinkering may need to be done with layout etc.

> 3. How much time is needed for each form/report

If your forms are simple e.g. 1 or 2 blocks, then once you get going, perhaps 3 hours to
convert and run and test. (depends on how rigourous you like to test ;-) Complex forms with tricky navigation can take longer. I've known some take a week. But
this would be the exception.

Reports tend to be easier. In some cases, you might want to strip out the queries and
redo the layout from scratch in Reports 2.5.

Hope this helps

John.