(unknown charset) Abort in Oracle

From: (unknown charset) Pasi Matilainen <pasi_at_verso.st.jyu.fi>
Date: 13 Apr 2000 07:23:13 GMT

Hi,

I'd like to find a correct and reliable way to abort current operation in Oracle and terminate a session. (Oracle8) I've tested BREAK (OCIBreak()/Ctrl-C/...) and KILL (Alter system kill session...)
but they don't seem to provide a reliable termination.

The action performed by BREAK and KILL vary from situation to situation. Here what I had:

1.

begin
  loop
    null;                  --BREAK
  end loop;
end;

----------------------------

Both BREAK and KILL work.

2.

begin
  raise no_data_found;
exception
when others then
  loop
    null;                  --BREAK
  end loop;
end;

----------------------------

While in exception handling block BREAK has no effect. KILL in this example can't terminate a session. In v$session it will be shown marked as "KILLED".

3.

begin   execute immediate 'begin loop null; end loop; end;'; -- BREAK end;

BREAK can't abort executing dynamic PL/SQL Only KILL can terminate such a session.

4.

begin   execute immediate 'begin loop null; end loop; end;'; -- BREAK
exception when others then
 loop null; end loop;
end;

----------------------------

BREAK wouldn't work
KILL wouldn't terminate such a session. Once execution is in the exception handling block KILL has not effect. Session is being marked as "KILLED" but keeps on working.

Is there a way to get rid of these "KILLED" sessions.

Are there any rules of using BREAK and KILL?

I would appreciate any information on the subject, sample codes in PL/SQL and OCI.
Maybe you can point me to some site on the web where I can find such information.

Thanks in advance,
Denis

---NOTE: DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO ME, CUZ I'M POSTING THIS FOR A FRIEND---

--

------
Pasi Matilainen Student of Information Systems Science tel. +xxx-yy-zzzzzzz Faculty of Information Technology http://www.jyu.fi/~pasi/ University of Jyväskylä, Finland -- Sinustakin voi tulla Akateemikko _at_ http://akatemia.sby.abo.fi/ --