Re: Explain Plan question...

From: Sean <dolans_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:44:42 GMT

[Quoted] Thanks Sybrand,

   I went to the technet site to look for the Oracle App Dev Guide as you recommended. I think I found it, but when looking through the contents, I could not find anything on explain plan. It mostly referred to different cartridges and programming to them on an Apps server.

If you have any books you recommend on EXPLAIN PLAN, I'd enjoy hearing them.

Thanks again,
Sean

In article <954398302.22005.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>, "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> The EXPLAIN PLAN output is discussed in the Oracle Application
Developers
> Guide and in many performance tuning books. Basically you should read
it
> inside out, so the most-indented steps are executed first.
> One thing obvious from the plan, is you don't give your primary key
> constraints a proper name.
> A range scan is a scan for a range of keys (so 1 or more), an unique
scan is
> a scan for one particular key.
>
> Hth,
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> Sean <dolans_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > I am using the TOAD software and just found the explain plan item.
> > Looks great, but I am having trouble understanding how to interpret
the
> > results. Is there any documentation or websites that can help point
> > this out?
> >
> > I am curious what I should be looking for. And is a RANGE SCAN
better
> > or worse than a UNIQUE SCAN?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sean
> >
> > PS I'll put the output below in case anyone would like to comment.
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > SELECT STATEMENT Optimizer=CHOOSE
> > SORT (ORDER BY)
> > NESTED LOOPS
> > NESTED LOOPS
> > NESTED LOOPS
> > NESTED LOOPS
> > NESTED LOOPS
> > TABLE ACCESS (BY INDEX ROWID) OF KNOW
> > INDEX (RANGE SCAN) OF XIF180KNOW (NON-UNIQUE)
> > TABLE ACCESS (BY INDEX ROWID) OF STAT_KNOW_REC
> > INDEX (UNIQUE SCAN) OF SYS_C006796 (UNIQUE)
> > INDEX (UNIQUE SCAN) OF SYS_C006685 (UNIQUE)
> > TABLE ACCESS (BY INDEX ROWID) OF SYSTEM_GRP_USER
> > INDEX (RANGE SCAN) OF XIF127SYSTEM_GRP_USER (NON-UNIQUE)
> > INDEX (UNIQUE SCAN) OF SYS_C006629 (UNIQUE)
> > INDEX (UNIQUE SCAN) OF SYS_C006719 (UNIQUE)
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Mar 30 2000 - 17:44:42 CEST

Original text of this message