PL/SQL and DBMS_LOCK mystery

From: Les Neste <lesneste_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 10:35:19 GMT

[Quoted] It's probably not a mystery to you but it is to me. I'm RTFMing as we speak but I'd appreciate any help.

I want to do is call procedures provided in the oracle-supplied DBMS_LOCK package from within a procedure which I define in a package of my own. For some reason, this is causing a PL/SQL compilation error. Is there something I have to do to make DBMS_LOCK available to my own package?

In outline, here's what I'm doing.

CREATE PACKAGE BODY my_pkg

   CREATE PROCEDURE my_proc

      DBMS_LOCK.SLEEP( 100 );
   END my_proc;

END my_pkg;

If I comment out the DBMS_LOCK call, it compiles fine. If I include it, I get the compilation error.

Looks like I'll be buying some PL/SQL tool like Toad to give me a little more feedback than Oracle's "warning: package created with compilation errors". Any opinions about tools would be welcome as well. Received on Thu Mar 30 2000 - 12:35:19 CEST

Original text of this message