Re: Upload file

From: Bill Coulam <bcoulam_at_DELETECAPSusa.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 22:24:47 -0700

Agreed, but his original post said they were using 8i and OAS 4.0.8.1. The example he gave was practically straight out of the content services documentation. This means he was depending on the content services for his uploading. The content services (OWA_CONTENT and the attendant code in the wrb or pl/sql cartridge) receive the multipart MIME data and transparently store it in a LONG RAW column in the ows_content table. With the appropriate patches, that works flawlessly for us no matter the file type or size. No need for custom coding, or looping for that matter. However, as I mention in my first reply, I can't stand LONG RAW, so I use TO_LOB within dynamic SQL to move the file to my own table in a CLOB or BLOB column, depending on the file type. Now when the user wants to see these files again, yes I have to read it piecewise -- with looping -- back into the http response.

I'm not sure why the original author then responded asking me how to do it with WebDB 2.1. Perhaps with 2.2's tighter integration with OAS it might be possible, but I don't think he should hold his breath.