Re: WebDB/OAS Newbie questions

From: Joseph Babad <joseph_babad_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 09:47:13 GMT

Thanks for replying.

Can I ask a couple more questions?

  1. Is there any documentation on how to use WebDB with OAS? I'm thinking in terms of how to set up a site and configure the OAS listeners and storing the pages in the database. I've just been on Oracle's OAS admin course, but no mention was made of the WebDB cartridge, which makes me suspect it's not documented... I'm at a disadvantage here because we are just in the process of getting hold of the software.
  2. If you use WebDB with OAS, does that mean that WebDB basically becomes a way to design web pages with minimum difficulty? Can you use WebDB in this way to generate dynamic pages by running PL/SQL stored procedures via the OAS?

   I think I'm having difficulty in getting a picture of the    overall architecture of this sort of system. But I get the feeling    that Oracle don't really have a good idea about this either.

In article <UNVv4.56529$2v4.154560_at_afrodite.telenet-ops.be>,   "Leo Van Nieuwenhuyse" <leo.van.nieuwenhuyse_at_pandora.be> wrote:
> > We are looking at using OAS and have also heard about
> > WebDB. Could anyone explain how these two products
> > go together (if they do)?
> Yes they do fine, webdb is implemented as a cartride (dynamic load
library)
> in oas.
> >
> > Also, can you plug WebDB into an OAS installation so
> > that you can use all the functionality of OAS, but
> > use WebDB to create your pages?
> Yes you can, you can even include ssl security.
> > Some other questions:
> > 1. Can you use WebDB remotely via SQLnet?
> Yes you can, but there are some problems on certain versions of the
db when
> using reports based on a sql-statement:
> problem is in oci, there's a patch available for 8.1.5.
> > 2. What listener does WebDB use and can you change it?
> It uses it's own listener, wich is a small version of oas. But as
mentionned
> above, you can use oas with the wdbctx cartridge.
> > 3. What's the latest version of WebDB?
> The latest version is 2.2. 3.0 is in Beta.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Mar 07 2000 - 10:47:13 CET

Original text of this message