Re: Backups and Large filesystems

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/03/02

unixsysad_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Can anyone give me some pointers?
>
> We run a daily export of a database. The size of this is 1.9GB, thus
> creating a filesize that is getting too large. I have heard something
> about a "large filesystem" and I am trying to figure out exactly what
> that is and if any can help me with setting that up. Any help is
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Try exporting to a compressed file or a split file.

The basic idea is (assuming unix)

mknod pipe_file.dmp p
cat pipe_file.dmp | compress > my_compressed_file.dmp.Z & exp file=pipe_file.dmp

thus your export is compressed on the fly...

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

We are born naked, wet and hungry...then things get worse