Re: Oracle Data Modeling/Oracle Data Architect

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 19:58:53 GMT

    I haven't used Rational Rose but have spent a fair amount of time with ERwin and Designer. Designer has a wider scope in terms of what it attempts to accomplish - broad brush business rules right through a front end and web capabilities as well. But Designer is meant to work mainly with Oracle.

    ERwin supports a number of databases equally well and has front end capabilities linked to PowerBuilder or Visual Basic if you wish. ERwin is easier to learn and has a much more intuitive interface. Within the scope of the levels it covers ERwin also has some capabilities Designer lacks. A simple complete compare with the ability to forward/reverse engineer any object all in a single window for example.

    One thing very, very much in Oracle's favor is that you can get a full trial copy and try it out. Good luck getting anything from ERwin. Van

Paul Dorsey <pdorsey_at_dulcian.com> wrote in message news:Aubr4.12661$pN1.191765_at_news1.rdc1.nj.home.com...
> I won't speak to it being the "best" as I am a co-author, but you might
> start with the Designer Handbook.
> It has both methodology and how to use the Oracle Designer product.
>
> --
> Paul Dorsey
> Dulcian, Inc.
> (212) 595-7223
> web address: http://www.dulcian.com
> email: pdorsey_at_dulcian.com
>

> Mike <your_at_attcanada.net> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I need to study and master myself in the subject area of Oracle Life
Cycle