Re: [DEVELPOER 6.0] CONNECT TO ORACLE?

From: Brian W. Chester <bwchester_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 13:54:33 GMT

Peter,

What version of SQLnet is loaded on your VMS system? If you are still running SQLnet v1.x you will have to upgrade to SQLnet v2 with TCP/IP. I am assuming you are running the forms 6 on a Windows (nt/95/98) machine. You will find the tcp/ip protocol in the distribution material. Run the oracle installer by clicking on Start -> Programs -> Oracle for Win? -> Oracle Installer. You will be presented with a list of installed components on the right side of the display. Scroll through the list and determine if the TCP/IP is installed. If not, Click on the "From" button in the top left corner of the Software asset Manager and go to the directory you installed from. The products list should be in the installr\install\us directory I think. Find the tcp/ip protocol and install it.

This does not install tcp/ip on your windows system, only your oracle for windows system. You still have to load TCP/IP from your windows distribution if you have not already done so.

Once the Oracle tcp/ip protocol has been loaded, you will have to create an entry in the tnsnames.ora file to point to your VMS Oracle server. Read the NET8 manual for full details on how to do this. If for some reason this manual is not included in your documentation set, download it from the technet site.

HTH Brian