SQL - Count of Rows into a table

From: RxB <rvbaker_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 21:26:20 -0500

Hi

[Quoted] I'm trying to write some SQL to record the rowcount from each of my fifteen [Quoted] or so tables into a timestamped table. This is to provide me with history of the growth of
my tables.

Table def'n something like this

Table - table_count

  (table_name       varchar2(25)
   dated              date default (sysdate)
    row_count      number)

I would like to automate the population of this to run on a daily basis.

Can anyone help with this task..... I know I could generate a list of my tables from all_tables (where owner = 'FRED') and then step through them with a cursor, selecting the count(*), and then insert this number into the [Quoted] table .... however this seems very 3GLish. There must be an easy relational way to do this in (possbily) one step.

Hope someone can help, because I feel I'm re-inventing the wheel thnking about this !!!

Rog Received on Fri Jan 28 2000 - 03:26:20 CET

Original text of this message