Re: data modeling tools

From: Bill Coulam <bcoulam_at_usa.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 22:14:07 -0700

We finally dumped Designer. It's got most of the right stuff, especially the shared team repository, but it crashed on our NT desktops all the time! Rational Rose sticks nasty propriety markup in all their generated class files, and we evaluated Popkin's SA2000 as well. SA2000 has everything we were looking for (including UML support), but at the time they were just barely getting out of the 16-bit world and it showed. It was very buggy and definitely still in beta. Perhaps they have improved. We finally settled on Embarcadero's ERStudio. It robustly supports all major databases (hasn't crashed on me yet) and is a joy to use. However, they don't have a team based repository yet (3rd or 4th quarter 2000). I have yet to experience customer support and product management as good as theirs. So overall, I'm extremely happy. Give 'em a look. I gave our 16-yr veteran DBA a copy of Embarcadero's DB-Artisan, and he's in love with that too. So good things are coming from that company.

  • best 'o luck bill c. (remove nullspm to reply)