Re: Brand New to Oracle

From: M. Armaghan Saqib <armaghan_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 15:19:34 +0500

To help you in learning Oracle, my SQLPlusPlus (freeware) can be valueable tool.

Makes like extremely easy in Oracle SQL Plus

regards,
M. Armaghan Saqib

+---------------------------------------------------------------
+---------------------------------------------------------------
GaryODS <oregondatanospamsupply_at_compuserve.com> wrote in message news:8687mr$s5q$1_at_ssauraaa-i-1.production.compuserve.com...
> Hi,
>
> I just bought the JDeveloper Personal Edition.
>
> I have a few questions.
>
> My first real project will be to connect to a web site (not my own) and
> program in about 125 different searches using variables, capture the
> returned pages and put then into a table. Is Oracle's Java suitable for a
> project like this? It seems that most Java apps are concerned with
putting
> pages out not gathering them in.
>
> I've been a FoxPro programmer for 11 years. I'm usually not considered
the
> dullest knife in the drawer. What's the learning curve like to get a
simple
> program that imports, indexes and is able to retrieve the data from oh say
6
> tables each with 10-30 columns? How is Oracle with variable lenght field
> information? How fast is Oracle with mid-string searches? Can Oracle
> all the words in a field or must indexes start from position 1 and move
> right? Are Oracle string searches natively not case sensitive? And
> lastely, I've picked up a couple books, Teach Yourself Oracle 8 in 21 Days
> and Teach Yourself DB Programming with JDBC in 21 Days, any suggestions on
> other resources to get a good jumpstart on this project will be
> apperaciated.
>
> Thanx for your time
>
> Gary

Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net
Complaints to news_at_netfront.net Received on Sat Jan 22 2000 - 11:19:34 CET

Original text of this message