Re: Typing problem under SQL

From: Mungo Henning <mungoh_at_itacs.strath.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:43:15 +0000

On Unix I always recommend remembering that the WORD ERASE character is usually setup to be control-W. Therefore on those rare ocassions that you work on
a badly-configured terminal and then go for an erase and see control-H, you might be
able to use control-W to kill the last word (instead of re-typing the whole blooming
line).
Might not work under all circumstances, but on those rare ocassions it can be pretty
useful!

Henri Irla wrote:

> Ya Li Wang wrote:
>
> > I met such inconvenience about typing. When I try to use
> > thr keyboard of backspace, or arrow up,down, it show some
> > like this ^H. See follows:
> >
> > ------------------------
> > SQL> create table test^H^H^H^H
> to modify you will type : stty erase <ctrl h>

Often the Unix commands will accept circumflex-H instead of a true control-H.
This can be easier to type into a configuration file:

    stty erase '^H'
(note that the circumflex is a separate character from the H).

> if correct put on your cession .profile file

If the person is running a C-shell then it ought to be in their .login

Mungo

--
[Quoted] [Quoted] Mungo Henning - it's a daft name but it goes with the face...
mungoh_at_itacs.strath.ac.uk.http://www.itacs.strath.ac.uk/