DBD::Oracle build fails on Solaris

From: Bill Lubanovic <bill_at_madscheme.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 00:01:06 GMT

I'm building apache, DBI, and DBD::Oracle on a Sun to access an Oracle 8i database on another Sun. There's a problem during the make step for DBD::Oracle. The initial "perl Makefile.PL" completes, but "make" fails to find three Oracle include files: oratypes.h, ocidfn.h, ociapr.h.

Oracle's Pro*C was installed, and OCI was reinstalled (but no database). The environment is:

	perl 5.005.03
	DBI 1.13
	DBD::Oracle 1.03
	Oracle 8.1.5
	Solaris 2.6
	apache 1.3.9

OAS was also installed, but is not working correctly yet, which may or may not be a clue.

Here's the make and the error (I've substituted ORACLE_HOME below for the true directory, and split the gcc flags for clarity):

# make
gcc

-c \
-I. \
-I/ORACLE_HOME/precomp/public \
-I/ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/public \
-I/ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/demo \
-I/ORACLE_HOME/plsql/public \
-I/ORACLE_HOME/network/public \
-I/ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/demo \
-I/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris/auto/DBI \
-I/usr/local/include \
-O \
-DVERSION=\"8\" \
-DXS_VERSION=\"1.03\" \
-fPIC \
-I/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/CORE \
-Wall \
-Wno-comment \

        Oracle.c
In file included from Oracle.h:20,

                 from Oracle.xs:1:
dbdimp.h:47: oratypes.h: No such file or directory
dbdimp.h:48: ocidfn.h: No such file or directory dbdimp.h:61: ociapr.h: No such file or directory *** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `Oracle.o'

I've tried ideas from the newsgroups and list archives, unsuccessfully. Running "perl Makefile.PL -8" doesn't help, nor does "perl Makefile.PL -n /ORACLE_HOME/.../oracle.mk", because there isn't any oracle.mk.

I'd be filled with joy if anyone knows how to fix this, and I'd be even happier if they would tell me.

Bill Lubanovic
Mad Scheme Limited Received on Mon Jan 10 2000 - 01:01:06 CET

Original text of this message