Re: OAS 4.0.8 & o8.0.5 on NT - can it work?

From: <stanggirl_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 21:14:29 GMT

Hi Jason,

[Quoted] [Quoted] Which SP are you using? I struggled with the same problem for quite awhile (too long!), trying several different things, until Oracle support came up with a workaround that worked for my situation. I'm running NT4.0, SP5, OAS 4.0.8.1 and Oracle DB Server 8.0.5 on a single [Quoted] box. My problem was that the two Oracle products were conflicting with [Quoted] each other, so the workaround involves changes to environment variables so that the OAS and the RDBMS don't "see" each other. The workaround was successful for me, but while the application works, you lose some flexibility in that you have to start/reload/stop OAS4.0 from the OAS Manager, or be in the directory that owsctl.exe resides in when using owsctl at the command prompt. I cannot start/stop OAS using the Service Manager. The system cannot locate the necessary files as the paths needed to be removed from the environment variables in order for the workaround to work. I'm sure that could be fixed by adding some of the environment variables back in, but I haven't had a chance to test whether or not that defeats the purpose of the workaround. To me, it is a small inconvenience and I am *assured* by Oracle that they will fix this SP5 conflict in the next release of OAS. If this doesn't sound like something you've already tried and you're interested in hearing the details, let me know (post a reply) and I will post the workaround (it isn't too involved, but it would make for a large post).

Alethea

In article <852hkk$2l6$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   jason.judge_at_virgin.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get OAS 4.0.8.1 and Oracle 8.0.5 running on a single NT
> box. I have been working on this problem for quite some time and have
> tried everything that Oracle have posted me - but still can't get it
> working.
>
> What I would like to know is whether ANYBODY has got this combination
> working in the real world? My client bought one big (expensive) server
> to run OAS 4.0.6 and Oracle 8.0.1 and it seems that the upgrade path
> has been blocked without purchasing new hardware.
>
> I have tried everything (obviously eager to be proved wrong here!) and
> am looking for a real example of this working rather than suggestions
> for what to try next.
>
> Thankyou in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jason Judge
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Jan 06 2000 - 22:14:29 CET

Original text of this message