Re: M

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 09:45:46 -0800

Ajay Madan wrote:

> Hi !!
> My application is on Oracle8i with Forms6.0. I have a
> Database Block which is based on the base Table which has a
> Delete Flag field with declaration - VARCHAR2(1) NOT NULL.
> This field is not displayed on the canvas. My application
> requires that I initialize this field with a single Blank
> space and then insert into the database. But whether
> directly or thru another variable I am not able to
> initialize and insert this value into the database. The
> table or the form variable does not accept this value at
> all. But In SQL. I am able to insert the record into the
> Database by giving a ' ' as value for the delete flag
> field. But I am not able to do the same using forms.
>
> Can you help me out with this? How do I initialize this
> field with a single blank space?
>
> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Ajay
>
> ajay_madan_at_usa.net
>
> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful

I was under the impression that varchar2 purged trailing blanks. Even tho your definition is only 1 long, that is what may happen. Forms react differently than the RDBMS. What about a default (on the table side) of ' '? Anyway, why does it need to be a space? More clearly would be: default to 'N', add a check constraint value in ('Y','N').

Just my 2c.

--
Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

Frank van Bortel