Help: trying to cofigure the sql loader

From: NC State <tim_mori_at_ncsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 09:43:45 -0500

We are currently running Oracle 8.1.5 on Solaris, but most of the access to it is via Win NT clients. With the recent loss of our resident Oracle guru, I am attempting to fix one major problem, which is the sql loader.
  1. First of all, I realize that the loader is a server program, but attempts to invoke it from the NT command line have returned the following error: "The dynamic link library ORAVSN8.dll could not be found in the required path". I would very much like to know if anyone has any information at all on this dll. What does it do? If I have it in the right path will it work from the NT client? Has anyone managed to make it work this way?Where can I get this file?
  2. If I, as an Oracle user, telnet into the Oracle server and try to run the loader, I get an error stating that it cannot find my input file. Since we are on Solaris, I have attempted to put the entire directory path to my input file in the control file (e.g. usr/local/user/xxx/yyy.csv), but Oracle does not accept the "/". How do I configure the sql loader to be usable to every user, such that loading data into Oracle from external sources are registered under the correct user name? The way it is set up now, it's possible that I could log in as the DBA (if I had access) and use the loader, but any new tables would be registered under the DBA's login.