Pro*C - column aliases in cursors

From: Clint Eastwood <cjundieseastwd_at_powerup.com.au>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 07:29:53 GMT

HiYa

[Quoted] I was wondering in explicit cursors in SQL statements like

    EXEC SQL DECLARE orders_cur CURSOR FOR

       SELECT ordr.provider_order_num,
              ordr.account_code,
              ordr.enquiry_num,
              ordr.delivery_method_code ... yadda;

if there is a point in giving them column aliases, as it seems that the examples just fetch into the variables, with the position being the key rather than like cursor for loops in PL/SQL

IE

        EXEC SQL FETCH orders_cur INTO

:ftchdOrd.provider_order_number:inds[0],
:ftchdOrd.account_code:inds[1],
:ftchdOrd.enquiry_num:inds[2],
:ftchdOrd.delivery_method_code:inds[3],

rather than as in a for loop....

so (as I'm trying to save space on the line) is there any disadvantage to not aliasing the cols??

thanks

See Ya
(when the bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood                            Please remove undies for reply
Photographer, Stunt Programmer
Motorcyclist and dingbat Received on Thu Dec 16 1999 - 08:29:53 CET

Original text of this message