Cannot install OAS 4.0.7.1 samples on solaris

From: Guy Dallaire <gdallair_at_criq.qc.ca>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 17:41:18 GMT

For some reason, I cannot install the OAS 4.0.7 samples. I contacted oracle technical support and here is the TAR info they have. If anyone has the same problems, or better, got it fixed, please tell me what you did.

We compared our environment (Oracle tech support and me) and everything looks fine. They have the same OS, same OAS version. Except that they are running on RDBMS 8.x with Net8 and I am at 7.3.4 with SQL*Net.

I don't think SQL*Net is the problem here, because even if I try to install the JWEB samples (that do not require a DAD) the installation fails with the same error message as soon as I press "Install Samples"

Error: : java.io.FileNotFoundException:/disk3/app/oracle/product/OAS4-

DEV/ows/4.0/admin/doc/readme.txt

I suspect some kind of JAVA related bug.

Note that /disk3/app/oracle/product/OAS4- DEV is my Oracle Home

Info submitted to Oracle So far:

New Install: Yes
Single or Multi-Node: Single
DB Location: Diff O_H
DBLocation: Diff O_H
Error Numbers: See below
Web listener and Version: Oracle
Applied patches: Patch 1 to AS 4.0.7
Problem description: Errorinstalling samples on OAS 4.0.7.1 (Solaris 2.6)

I proceeded as instructed by the Manual. When I press "submit" on the installation page here's what I get:

Error: : java.io.FileNotFoundException:/disk3/app/oracle/product/OAS4-

DEV/ows/4.0/admin/doc/readme.txt

And nothing gets installed.

There is effectivly no such readme file there. Itried fooling the system around by creating a dummy readme.txt file(size=0) but that did not fix it.

If anyone has a clue, I would like to experiment with the new OAS 4.07 features but cannot install the samples.

Thanks

18-NOV-99 21:17:26 Problem:

Trying to check with the cst about the problem for installing the samples.
Cst did not have sqlnet80 but still using the sqlnet 2.3 client. The OAS uses the sqlnet80 not sqlnet2.3 client. Cst to check in the CD for Sqlnet 80 clients and install it on the OAS oracle home.
Cst to try and call back.
CUS

  • I checked that the Net8 client is installed. It is. There are NO ERROR in the OAS 4.0.7 installation log.

19-NOV-99 21:23:46 New info : I have checked my installation and Net8 + Net8 TCP/IP adapter were indeed installed in my default OAS 4 installation. So, even with Net8 installed I can't get the samples to install. Could it be some environment variable missing ?

Here is myenv:

HOME=/disk1/app/oracle
PATH=/disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PROD/ows/4.0/bin:/disk1/app/oracle/produ ct/OAS4-PROD/orb/4.0/admin/cgi:/disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PROD/orb/4.0/bin:/ disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PROD/ots/1.0/bin:/disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PR OD/ows/4.0/jdk/bin:/disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PROD/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/cc s/bin:/disk1/criqutil/cmd:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ucb LOGNAME=oracle
HZ=100
TERM=vt220
TZ=Canada/Eastern
SHELL=/bin/csh
MAIL=/var/mail/oracle
PWD=/cdrom/oracle_app_server/oracle/orainst USER=oracle
EPC_DISABLED=TRUE
ORACLE_HOME=/disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PROD ORA_NLS32=/disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PROD/ocommon/nls/admin/data EDITOR=vi
ORACLE_TERM=vt100
ORACLE_BASE=/disk1/app/oracle
TMPDIR=/tmp
TNS_ADMIN=/var/opt/oracle
DBA=/disk1/app/oracle/admin
NLS_SORT=french
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PROD/orb/4.0/lib:/disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PROD/ows/4.0/lib:/disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PROD/ots/1.0/lib: /disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PROD/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/dt/lib CLASSPATH=/disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PROD/ows/4.0/jco/lib/jcort.jar:/disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PROD/ows/4.0/jbeans/lib/jbrt.jar:/disk1/app/oracle/

product/OAS4-PROD/ows/4.0/classes/wrbjidl.jar:/disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PROD/ows/4.0/classes/services.jar:
/disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PROD/ots/1.0/classes/jts805jdbc.jar:/disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PROD/ots/1.0/classes/oraclejts.jar:
/disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PROD/jdbc/lib/classes111.zip:/disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PROD/ows/4.0/jdk/lib:
/disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PROD/ows/4.0/jdk/lib/classes.zip:.
MANPATH=/disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PROD/orb/4.0/man
ORAWEB_HOME=/disk1/app/oracle/product/OAS4-PROD/ows/4.0
ORAWEB_SITE=oas4prod
ORAWEB_ADMIN=/disk1/app/oracle/admin/ows
ORAWEB_NAMEROOT=/.:/applications/oracle/OAS
THREADS_FLAG=native
ORAORB_SITE=oas4prod

19-NOV-99 23:38:16 After installing the samples whether the samples not seen or what is the error essage. If the installation of the sample works but could not execute the plsql samples then probably check under the configuraiton of the sample application whether the DAD name is set correctly.

If not enable the DAD and restart the Oracle Application Server and see if that works.
CUS
---> Nothing at all gets installed !

25-NOV-99 20:37:51 New info : Still not being able to install the samples. AS far as I know,nothing at all gets installed. I get the error mentionned as soon as I press "install"

Could it be a problem with an environment variable not set ?

Java?

How am I supposed to know if the samples are installed partially ? When I go to the the SAMPLES link, it says they have not been installed

Is there a way to install the samples by using another method than the web server management screen ?

25-NOV-99 22:26:57 If the samples are installed then you will see the installation was successfulafter installing the package.
If not installed successfully then there is no harm in installing it by clicking and entering the input information on the dialogbox. The packages are create or replace so it will be recreated if it is already installed. Try installing it one more time. For browse database application click on the help screen you may need to give the dba, create any table, createany procedure, execute any procedure permissions. If you still have problem call back on this tar. CUS 26-NOV-99 18:48:00 New info : I tried may times. I'm in the process of trying to see what exactly does the SamWiz.bat java application do.

But after trying to see the code, I reallized that java classes are not ascii text (they seem sort of precompiled)I was hoping to see the source and try to determine WHERE it tries to open that "readme.txt" file....

27-NOV-99 00:18:23 Try installing the plsql toolkits and try to create the simple application.The online documentation will guide you to create the plsql application.

1.Create the DAD
2.Create the Plsql application
3.Attach the plsql cartridge to application.
4. Restart the OAS and access the virtual path

Try this and call back on this tar.
CUS 29-NOV-99 18:47:56 New info : The PL/SQL cartridge IS working. We upgraded or site from 3.0.2 to 4.0.7.

THIS IS A SAMPLE APPLICATION INSTALL PROBLEM 29-NOV-99 18:52:46 I need to have the SAMPLES installed because we want to try other cartridges like JWEB, C, etc...

29-NOV-99 19:24:05 First Stop the application server and then check the environment variables a reset in the Command prompt , for this type : env | grep ORA and should be able to see the

ORACLE_HOME
ORACLE_BASE
ORAWEB_HOME
ORAWEB_ADMIN
ORAORB_SITE
ORAWEB_NAMEROOT
ORAWEB_SITE

THREADS_FLAG
LD_LIBRARY_PATH
CLASSPATH These variablesshould be set when you run the owsenv_csh.sh or owsenv_bsh.sh script dependingon the shell you use. Can you confirm that and what are the samples you can't install and what are the samples gets installed.
CUS

As you can see, oracle is of no help there. If anyone can help me, I would be really happy.

Thanks

Guy Dallaire, Sysadmin/DBA
Centre de recherche industrielle du Quebec Ste-Foy, QC, Canada
http://www.criq.qc.ca
e-mail: gdallair_at_criq.qc.ca
ICQ: 18846092 Received on Tue Dec 07 1999 - 18:41:18 CET

Original text of this message