Re: Working over 64k lines

From: Multifarious <multifarious_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 14:17:50 GMT

Avi,

My experience with SQLnet over any link is to leave it alone. Several years ago, I confronted with having to place a real time reservation system in place over 6k satelite links. As you can imagine, the performance was not great. The solution to the problem was very careful planning of the database and application. In this case, over 90% of the application logic was placed on the server. The only data flowing over the link was the actual request and resulting data. It took some doing the users were extremely happy (considering the pathetic line speed).

The most critical factors when talking WAN performance, is what other applications are flowing over the pipe! I have found that an education process is always required. The users do not like lectures but for WANs, they must be taught (and taught hard) that they can not send useless mail, surf the net when ever they want (ya gotta get the latest shots from CNN right!).

Another factor is the configuration of your LAN. Are you using DHCP and WINS? They are extremely chaty! Are you using remote boot capabilities? Also very chaty. Does everyone on you network require TCP/IP? We found removing TCP/IP from all but the most essential workstations reduced traffic tremendously. Even if the client is "not doing any thing on the WAN", the machine is still broadcasting.

Our findings, with proper design of the Oracle Server, the application, the WAN, LAN, and clients, that connections over 56k or better circuits were not significantly slower than local LAN access!

Hope this helps.