Re: Forms 4.5: Distinct Records in a base table block

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_csufresno.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:21:38 -0800

"Steven C. Kondolf" wrote:
> I've got a base table block on a detail table and would like to query up
> distinct records rather than all. For the life of me I can't find out how
> to do this. I'm pretty new at using Forms 4.5 so I apologize if this is
> really simple.
>
> Thanks for any help given.
> Steve
> skondolf_at_frontiernet.net

When you Select Distinct... you are not selecting records, but a set of values that are unique. So you can only see the values within the Distinct list.

To view a distinct set in a form, you can either create a view and use that as the form's base table, or if the select statement is short, you can use it in place of the Base Table name in the block's Base Table property, for example:

 (Select distinct Col_A, Col_X form A_Table)

The parentheses are required. Then you create items in the block to display Col_A and Col_X.

Steve Cosner
http://members.aol.com/stevec5088 Received on Thu Nov 11 1999 - 17:21:38 CET

Original text of this message