Re: UTL_FILE package

From: Joe Moore <moorejo_at_it.postoffice.co.uk>
Date: 1999/10/20

  1. Have you tried using TOAD (TOOL FOR ORACLE APPLICATION DEVELOPERS) - it used to be only shareware (free off the web) - NOW there are 2 versions - the deluxe version from www.quest.com Quest Software (with SQLab Tuner etc.) on 30 day trial (I'll leave you to work out logistics of use if you don't buy) -and- the still available more basic (but GOOD) shareware version from www.toadsoft.com .

WHAT IS TOAD?? : TOAD is an acronym for Tool for Oracle Application Development. TOAD was begun in 1995 (by a good altruistic chap in the USA) as a personal development aid and has grown to be used daily by many thousands of developers. There are similar tools on the market, but none can better TOAD's simple developer oriented interface, the author's attention to users, or the PRICE.

So, what you must remember when evaluating TOAD or while using TOAD is that TOAD is first and foremost a developer's aid. The interface is simple by design. The features are either what I personally want in an Oracle tool or what TOAD users have requested. TOAD wasn't built on features that were "cool" or fun to implement; nor with an interface that looked "slick" since, generally, the slicker it looks, the worse it is to operate. If there is a feature that is lacking, a report that is missing, an interface implementation that is nagging, send an email to support_at_quest.com If it isn't there, it probably hasn't been requested.

TOAD has a READY MADE TEMPLATE for UTL_FILE package with all Procedures and Functions and some other stuff.

If there is anyone you know writing SQL - scripts, triggers, procedures, functions or packages, sifting through tables and data, creating test data, or creating insert or update scripts, create table scripts etc... PLEASE TELL them about TOAD as TOAD will help them no end. IT JUST SAVES SO MUCH TIME! It has certainly made a huge difference to me.

2) Read a good Steve Feurstein book from publisher O'Reilly ('Oracle Built-In Packages' is the one I think, but there are a few others) -or- a Sc ott Urman book from Oracle Press Osborne McGraw-Hill. They have lots of UTL_FILE stuff. And- I hope you can get them in Italian your mother tongue instead of English.

HTH Joe